[Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:06:24 +0000

Oren Ben-Kiki <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Monotone does have separate merge and update commands - to pick one
> example - and for a good reason; the caller's intent is very
> different.  One is "update me to the latest revision on my branch"
> while the other is "merge the latest revision of the other branch
> into this one".

Actually, monotone has three commands which seem relevant: update,
merge and propagate.  update updates the working tree, and merge and
propagate alter a repository.  propagate kind of merges two named
branches (it propagates changes from one branch to another), and merge
merges the heads of one branch (which is a concept that seems
unusual---perhaps even unique to monotone).  Neither merge nor
propagate touch the working tree (although there seems to be agreement
that both ought to be able to use a working tree for conflict
resolution).

[...]