Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [from svn list] Case study: Mono switches to Su

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [from svn list] Case study: Mono switches to Subversion
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:24:37 -0600

Bruce Stephens wrote:
"Matthew A. Nicholson" <address@hidden> writes:

Bruce Stephens wrote:

<http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=83672>

How would monotone fare in such a situation?

I'd guess it wouldn't be considered; my feeling at the moment is that
the user interface just isn't functional enough.  I like what's
underneath (well, the line endings and binary files thing needs
sorting out, but many systems have problems with those), but I think
it would be difficult to recommend at the moment simply because of its
user interface.
Possibly it's my lack of experience, but I find it quite awkward to
find what ought to be relatively straightforward information.  For
example, I wanted to build net.venge.monotone.ssh, but as a debian
package, and the debian subdirectory seems rather out of date compared
with monotone.changesets, so I wanted to get the files from that
branch.  So I knew I needed to get the manifest from the latest
revision in the branch net.venge.monotone.ssh.  So I tried "monotone
--branch=net.venge.monotone.changesets log", but that doesn't work.  I
think the answer is "monotone list certs
net.venge.monotone.changesets", and then guess that the last one
listed is the last one.  Then I did "monotone cat revision <hash>" and
that showed the manifest, and then "monotone cat manifest <hash> |
grep debian"---those are straightforward, if I find myself doing that
often I can script it easily enough.

monotone doesn't suffer from performance problems with annotate, of
course.  I'm not sure what one does instead: "monotone log <file>"
gives much of the information, I guess.  I only very rarely use "cvs
annotate" anyway.

I would think the biggest problem with monotone would be it's alpha status. I never really thought about the user interface that way, although typing certs, and locating the right cert, can be a little clunky at times.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-land.com