[Monotone-devel] merging interface (was Re: Status update)

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] merging interface (was Re: Status update)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:34:23 +0000

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>   - Currently there are two heads for .changesets, the ones from me
>     and from Joel; excitingly, this is our first real criss-cross
>     merge!  Unfortunately, what this means in practice is that merging
>     is really annoying, because the common ancestor chosen is
>     sufficiently high up that one has to merge ~280 conflicts in
>     documentation tweaks by hand.  Well, at least that's what ediff
>     claims; ediff also gets out of synch and starts giving huge
>     spurious conflicts, though, so another tool might do better, I
>     dunno.  I am wondering though if this means it's time to add a
>     'monotone merge [left right [ancestor]]' command, and whether that
>     would help...

Does anyone else find the merge interface rather disempowering?  I
imagine the expectation is that merge will be used on quite similar
trees, so almost always the operation can be done automatically.

In cases where that fails, though, monotone forces me to deal with
each conflict in some apparently arbitrary order, and then inserts the
merge cert.

Really what I'd like is to be left with a working tree with the
conflicting files indicated in some way: then I can deal with them in
an order that makes sense to me, and I can perform whatever sanity
checks on the merged tree that make sense.  Then I can make sure that
my merge cert actually means something about the revision.

Can I do that in some way now?