[Monotone-devel] Re: [long] subdirectory restrictions

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [long] subdirectory restrictions
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:13:09 +0100

"graydon hoare" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:39:08 -0700, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> ===== Original Message From Derek Scherger <address@hidden> =====
>>> I'm happy to report that I finally have restricted/subdirectory
>>> operations essentially working in the code on the restrictions branch.
>>
>> Yay!
>
> seconded! this is great news derek, thanks.

Yes.  Useful stuff.

>>   - Partial updates: These don't just create a fork; they create a
>>   completely independent new root node in your branch.
>
> yeah, these are actually very dangerous since they merge so well;
> I'm happy just leaving this disabled for a while.

I agree.  I think there's some place for this kind of thing (well,
working on subtrees generally), but I'm not clear on what it ought to
look like.  I think it would be useful to have some use cases
somewhere and see if they suggest a workable solution.  Allowing
random subtrees to be updated seems too dangerous without thinking
about how you deal with it all.

>>     There's also the standard pragmatic test, that asks which behavior is
>>     easier to emulate given the other... in my proposal, to get a full
>>     version diff, I say
>>       $ monotone diff
>>     and to get a diff of the current directory, I say
>>       $ monotone diff .
>
> I do somewhat like the sound of this better. and honestly, I often do a diff
> to see what I'm about to commit, so having the system *accidentally* tell me
> that there's stuff I forgot about (which I'm going to commit) one directory
> over is a virtue in my mind.

I think that's intuitive, too.  In svk (the system I'm using most at
present) I find it very useful that I can get diffs and status for a
subtree (this happens by default, and is the only behaviour, I think,
but having to type a space and a dot would be fine).

[...]

>>     and I'd much rather be able to say
>>       $ monotone commit --exclude Makefile
>>     than
>>       $ monotone commit `find . -type f -a ! -path ./Makefile`
>
> eh, I don't know, "monotone commit `find | grep -v '^Makefile'`" is
> how I'd compose it, and I don't feel like I'd be hurting myself much
> by having to say so. but then, maybe bash scar tissue shouldn't be a
> prerequisite for using new tools. I don't know.

I'd write it as "monotone commit **/*~Makefile(.)" (in zsh), but I'd
have to try several variants and check the manual before I got it
right.

[...]