[Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:44:48 -0600

graydon hoare wrote:
 - I'm thinking of removing the concept of a collection altogether, and
   just letting people serve branches. one less concept to think about for
   the simple case. I'll probably include the possibility of serving a glob
   (literally "net.venge.monotone.*") in order to retain the current
   capability for clients to add branches on the fly.

The more I think about this the more I think I like it. It's not only conceptually somewhat simpler but it's also more powerful.

I can see times when it might be nice to pull just the main net.venge.monotone branch and if I try that now I'll get all branches in the collection even if I don't really want them. Essentially *you* (as the server maintainer) decide for me what I'll get, whereas with a globbing branch name syntax *I* could decide for myself what to pull. Similarly if I want to only push the main branch there's no way to do that at the moment and I may end up pushing branches when I might not want to.

I would assume net.venge.monotone.* would only include all of the branches *below* that and not net.venge.monotone itsself. Presumably I would have to use net.venge.monotone* (no dot) to include the main branch and all branches below it though.

BTW, if they don't already, the docs could use a word or two about the sqlite globbing syntax just to avoid confusion.

Derek