Re: [Monotone-devel] passphrase option

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] passphrase option
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:11:34 +0200

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

I think both are terrible ideas from a security point of view.
Looking at the bugs page, I found an entry about adding something
similar to ssh-agent, something I like a bit better.  Could that be
something to look more closely at?

(why --passphrase would be bad?  Think 'ps auxwwwww'...)

I also don't like the --passphrase idea, but in fairness, it wouldn't be too tricky for monotone to copy over its argv[0] to remove the passphrase. cron does this, sendmail does it, so there's not much to stop monotone doing it.

wrt. the LUA passphrase hook, I wouldn't necessarily want to use it myself, but I don't think of it as a risk per se. Even if ssh-agent (or similar) support were added, I think there's a fair argument for leaving the hook there.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.