Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: What's the plans for cvs_import?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:59:01 -0600

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

graydon> as far as branch names, whatever you prefer. distributed
graydon> development on lightweight branches is still imo a new
graydon> science, so I'm not sure anyone knows what the "correct"
graydon> arrangement is. try something and if it doesn't work we'll
graydon> make a change. branches can overlap anyways.

OK, since I'll probably hack on all kinds of things, I'll use
net.venge.monotone.levitte.{project}, where {project} is a descriptive
name for what's being hacked.

one thing I've just set up is a set of my own branches that I don't intend to be visible to the outside world unless they actually turn into something useful lest I cruftify all these other wonderful monotone databases out there.

to do this I've created branches like local.monotone, local.monotone.hack-1, local.monotone.hack-2 etc. I may or may not push these to my server just to make a second copy, but I don't intend on having it serve anything but the net.venge.monotone collection. I plan on propagating some of my interesting changes to my local.monotone branch so that I can collect and use them myself for a while to decide whether they might be of general interest.

some of my local.monotone.* branches start with a new branch cert on an existing manifest in the net.venge.monotone branch and I'm wondering whether my local certs will be visible over netsync if I'm only serving the net.venge.monotone collection. I don't think they should be?

presumably, if some of my local branch stuff works out I should be able to put it into a net.venge.monotone.something branch where it will be available but I wonder if there might be problems with this or a better way of doing things...

Derek