[Monotone-devel] quietness

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] quietness
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 02:02:54 -0400

hi,

I'm sorry I've been quiet the past, er, 20 days. something weird happened.
first I went on vacation for a couple days, then when I got back to try to
limit the load of keeping up with a million data sources I decided to try
using opera as a mail/news/irc/rss/web client. alas, it seemed to decide
it had read "all" of the monotone group, so I saw nothing for the past
while. I just noticed.

I'm still using it, but I've fixed this unusual behavior. we'll see if it
happens again. it's a nice client otherwise so I'm somewhat willing to
tolerate this. at least a couple times.

meanwhile.. accumulated reply:

 - I've made quite a bit of progress on the "revisions" work, I now
   have perhaps half of it done. it is going well; lots of things are
   being simplified and/or erased. I also added in a new sort of
   "interactive error recovery" system which will prompt you (via
   lua hook) for a resolution when it runs into problems, so when
   you have tree layout conflicts it will not just crash, it will
   ask you how to fix it up.

 - in case anyone missed it, sqlite v3.0 is in beta now. this version
   has a couple really important improvements: notably it does dynamic
   page size adjustment (big pages and small can coexist and are
   selected on the fly), has a blob API, a more uniform interface to
   pre-compiled statements (parsing and compiling SQL is actually a
   performance hotspot in query-intensive monotone commands) and more
   or less completely eliminates any size / scalability problems we
   might see with "huge databases" (64bit rowids, 64k pages). I will
   be starting a new branch after the "revisions" stuff to move us to
   this new database API. it's a little different.

 - derek's restriction stuff is really great! I hadn't seen it before,
   sorry not to be encouraging. it's a nice conservative set of
   changes. the pattern-y stuff might need adjusting, but otherwise
   this is a really exciting thing to have working

 - likewise the ssh code christof did; I read through it and while
   I'm going to want to adjust some of the particulars, the general
   shape is good and it's something great to have available.

 - the crlf conversion code is probably just buggy. I haven't done a
   lot of testing of it.

 - I am a month behind, at least, on releases. I'm hoping to put one
   out in the next week or so, but it'll not have christof's or
   derek's code in it. just bugfixes from june.

 - I was considering organizing a "bug day" to get people's hands a
   bit dirty in the existing code and knock a bunch of the simpler
   items out of the bug tracking system. anyone interested?

-graydon