Re: [Monotone-devel] A better name for "context"

From: John Ilves
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A better name for "context"
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:02:21 -0400

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
Ideally we should have a name that's short, and concrete, and rolls
off the tongue -- one that is clear and unambiguous.  A little bit
quirky is okay; if it's quirky then it will become a name, not just a
description, and a name's what we want in order to make the concept
concrete in people's heads.

I happened to come across an unusual word the other day that might be just right: "locus".

Encarta definition:

lo·cus (plural lo·ci)
noun

1. place: a place where something happens

2. mathematics, set of points: a set of points, the positions of which satisfy a set of algebraic conditions

3. genetics, gene position: the position of a gene in a chromosome

[Early 18th century. From Latin, “place” (source of English local and locate), of unknown origin.]

John