[Monotone-devel] ANNOUNCE: monotone sync over ssh (stdio)

From: Christof Petig
Subject: [Monotone-devel] ANNOUNCE: monotone sync over ssh (stdio)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:00:15 +0200

I'm proud to announce an alpha release of monotone over ssh. The communication seems to not shut down cleanly at the end but everything else is in place.

You might get it as the head of net.venge.monotone.ssh or directly as d446dca5e5483468aa1c142ff50cbc334e06b72f.

How it works:
- make sure you have a remote ssh account available (I only tested via authorized_keys, don't know whether password driven authentification is possible too).
- make sure monotone is in the remote path
- make sure the remote monotone is set up as a server with correct privileges [get_netsync[_anonymous]_read/write_permitted] and does not ask for a password [get_passphrase]

The syntax is
monotone sync|pull|push ssh:[//address@hidden:port]/db_path branch
e.g.
monotone push ssh://address@hidden/home/monotone/monotone.db net.venge.monotone

As a side benefit there's a local variant via pipe/"monotone serve -" available as file:/db_path
e.g.
monotone push file:/home/monotone/monotone.db net.venge.monotone

Open issues:
- no documentation, yet
- the program does not check for validity of the host/port/user/path component. I do not see this as a vulnerability since every attack szenario (command injection) is also possible directly as a shell command.
- the connection does not end cleanly
- no special error reporting (e.g. "remote database currently in use")

Enjoy
   Christof

PS: If you want anonymous access you are probably better off with the port based server since it can serve several connections at once.