[Monotone-devel] Re: Newbie Question

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Newbie Question
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:28:49 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
3) I understand that the way that one can extract a file e.g. using 'cat' is by giving the corresponding SHA1 hash of the file as the identifier. Am I to take it from this that there is no way of extracting the file based on its name? (Thinking about that, it seems logical to me that I should not be able to do that - if they were extractable by name the VCS would only be able to identify the last version by name.)

files do not have intrinsic names in monotone's model of storage. instead, manifests associate a group of names (a file tree) with a group of file-contents. if you check out a manifest, you will see files written out by name. but the names are not "part of" the files in any general sense.

-graydon