[Monotone-devel] Re: Comments on monotone

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Comments on monotone
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:12:08 -0400

Peter Simons wrote:
Graydon Hoare writes:

 > if you want your work to remain not-merged for a while, you
 > mark it as belonging to a different branch. branches can
 > overlap, and you can mark a state as a member of a branch
 > retroactively.

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly do I "mark" a state as
belonging into a different branch? Do I "commit" the version
into that branch? Propagate it? Or is there some certificate
magic involved?

either commit it to that branch (monotone --branch=... commit)
or "monotone cert <id> branch <branchname>"

perhaps not the most intuitive at the moment. feel free to suggest a command for this, or make an entry in the bug tracking system.

 >> 1. use a local branch (net.example.$DEVELOPER),
 >> merge to net.example, and push net.example,

How do I merge work from one branch to another?

monotone propagage <srcbranch> <dstbranch>

I'll appreciate any pointers how to find this out myself,
too. :-)

well, if the docs aren't clear enough yet that's my fault. you really shouldn't need to go grovelling around on the net to learn how a tool works, imo.

I'll try to clarify branches in future versions of the docs.

-graydon