[Monotone-devel] Re: problems with i18n testsuite

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: problems with i18n testsuite
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:47:17 -0400

Martin Waitz wrote:

when running the monotone testsuite, i get two problems:
 * the netsync test doesn't terminate until i press ctrl-c
 * the i18n test failes.

yes, these are both bugs in the testsuite. I have fixed them in the development version, and they should work again in 0.12. I did not notice them at the time I released 0.11 because I had an old version of the autotest m4 macros which did not exhibit the bugs.

why is it trying to convert from/to ANSI_X3.4-1968 (which seems to be
plain ascii) here?

the new versions of the autotest macros reset all the locale-related environment variables to "C" (ascii) before running tests. this is just wrong imho, but I have put in work-around code for the time being.

by the way: shouldn't filenames always be encoded in utf-8?
at least many file managers seem to use utf-8 file names.
that way it is still possible for the user to find his files
when he switched his locale (or via remote access)

well, it should simply detect UTF-8 if that's your locale (when autotest doesn't interfere) but many users have other encodings already in use (KOI, EUC, ISO8859-x) and we need to be able to interoperate with them.

-graydon