Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone: misuse: partial id error

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone: misuse: partial id error
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:35:32 -0700

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 03:43:55PM -0400, graydon hoare wrote:
> Tom Faska wrote:
>
> >It is not shown below but to get by the "monotone: misuse: no default
> >author name for branch 'testbranch'" error I added the following to
> >$HOME/.monotonerc:
> >
> >   function get_author(branchname)
> >       return "address@hidden"
> >   end
>
> yes. unfortunately people keep running into this; I suspect you're on a
> debian system, and for reasons which are not clear to me lua seems to be
> unable to extract the USER and HOSTNAME environment variables on debian.
> I ought to correct that.

Nothing wrong with lua, it's just that Debian's default user
environment doesn't set HOSTNAME.  Or anything else similar.  Maybe
the default hook should fall back on calling hostname(1)?

Alternatively, the resulting error message could just point people at
that hook, which most people probably want to be setting anyway :-).

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday