[Monotone-devel] Re: Problem when commiting

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problem when commiting
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 16:54:57 -0400

Andre Nathan wrote:

This is very good news... Just out of curiosity, have you considered a
change to a MIT/BSD-style license? (I understand that this may be too
drastic for people who like the GPL, though)

eh.. at the risk of aggravating people's license fatigue, I would personally say I think of LGPL as an "enhancement" over MIT/BSD:

 - the proprietay vendor can still distribute proprietary parts
 - there is a clear line drawn between libre and proprietary parts
 - they have to provide source code for the libre parts

I think that's a fair trade. they get what they want (proprietary extensions) and I get what I want (redistribution of libre source code). with MIT/BSD, it seems that I lose the thing I want.

GPL really has the same angle, except that the "clear line" extends to the process boundary, which is a bit more awkward than the exported linkable symbols.

-graydon