[Monotone-devel] Re: Some thoughts on ids

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Some thoughts on ids
Date: 04 Feb 2004 15:39:13 +0100

graydon hoare writes:

 > personally I find writing out arch's highly
 > namespace-qualified identifiers cumbersome, but that's
 > just me. I'm interested to hear preferences.

I feel the same way. If I want to check out older versions,
I usually do not know when exactly I committed the changes,
or what "label" or description I used back then. So I'll
have to look through the "log" output anyway, and whether I
cut-and-paste an SHA1 hash or an equally weird identifier
made up of text, sort of, makes no difference to me. Those
identifiers are meant to be unique, not memorizable, IMHO.

Peter