[Monotone-devel] Re: How secure are group names?

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: How secure are group names?
Date: 02 Dec 2003 16:20:09 +0100

graydon hoare writes:

 > they can get it just by requesting the .db file in a GET.

Well, that shouldn't be an issue. My system does not allow
this, and I think it would be tough to configure it so it
did. :-)

 > if not, well, there is no security on reading groups
 > anyways; all groups are readable if you ask for the right
 > name.

And if you don't know the name? Could you find out, which
groups exist?

 > I had thought you'd just keep such a server private.

Yes, now that I have finally got the mailto posts working,
I like an e-mail based solution much better anyway, so this
is not a serious issue.

 > I think "list unknown" should do that.

 | peti:~/monoprojects/public/homepage$ monotone status
 | Old manifest: 31629d04e573e01a111eaf6f5f9a09cbbbb90950
 | New manifest: 31629d04e573e01a111eaf6f5f9a09cbbbb90950
 | Summary of changes:
 |   no changes
 | peti:~/monoprojects/public/homepage$ touch new-file
 | peti:~/monoprojects/public/homepage$ monotone ls unknown
 | peti:~/monoprojects/public/homepage$ monotone ls unknown --verbose
 | monotone: opening rcfile '/home/simons/.monotonerc' ... monotone: ok
 | monotone: executing ls command
 | monotone: executing list command
 | monotone: manifest path is MT/manifest
 | monotone: loading manifest file MT/manifest
 | monotone: read 88 manifest entries
 | monotone: work path is MT/work
 | monotone: no un-committed work file MT/work
 | peti:~/monoprojects/public/homepage$ monotone ls ignored --verbose
 | monotone: opening rcfile '/home/simons/.monotonerc' ... monotone: ok
 | monotone: executing ls command
 | monotone: executing list command

Nothing happens.

Peter