Re: [Monotone-devel] File diff command-line UI thoughts

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] File diff command-line UI thoughts
Date: 14 Nov 2003 01:11:20 -0500

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> I noticed that the docs claim that you can pass either a manifest id
> or a file id, but the code disagrees. Only a manifest id is accepted.

oops. for which commands?

> As long as the passed id-fragment unambiguously matches just one
> database object (a file OR a manifest), it seems reasonable to accept
> it. If it matches multiple, monotone would probably have to list each
> possible completions along with its type (manifest or file).

possibly. I'm game to experiment with UI variations here.

> It's not a showstopper for me, but both in the code and as a user,
> it's not clear to me why manifests and files are in completely
> different worlds (namespaces).

practically: fewer btree pages to scan, fewer completions to choose
from. design-wise, because they have different semantics inside
monotone's, and things with different semantics tend to get different
type names and treatment.

if I merged the manifest and file tables, it'd be harder to say

  "for each manifest ..."

-graydon