monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] New release

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] New release
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:03:17 +0200

Francis Russell writes:
> Thomas Moschny wrote:
>> Francis Russell <address@hidden>:
>>
>>> It looks like the diff between 0.48 and 0.48.1 is reasonably large as
>>> it touches a bunch of things besides bug fixes (~6500 lines).
>>
>> Huh?
>
> I performed the diff using the two tarballs from the monotone homepage.
> I expect that this will reflect what the diff will look like if we base
> the new package on the 0.48.1 release. I can't find much information on
> whether this diff is reviewed or the need to keep it small. Ludovic, can
> you help?

Maybe the reason why you see a larger diff than Thomas is because you
see differences in generated files (e.g. the autotools stuff).

The Debian release managers look at the complete diff between the two
.orig.tar.gz (if applicable) and between the two .diff.gz (the Debian
packaging stuff).  We don't have to provide the diff to them; they
generate it.  It is obvious that the larger the diff, the more difficult
it is for them to review.

They have repeatedly posted their review guidelines, see [1] (scroll
down a bit to "Release Update (Squeeze Status)") for the latest
iteration.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/10/msg00002.html

At this point I think that we should upload 0.48, not 0.48.1, with two
patches for the two release-critical bugs.  One bug has already been
filed (#601700), please file the second one.  I have already edited the
changelog to reflect what I want.  Please fill in the ??????.  I think
the "urgency" field is "high" because of the security fix.

--
Ludovic Brenta.