getting alert reminders with m/monit

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: getting alert reminders with m/monit
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 16:35:59 -0700

For cost reasons, my org is switching from pagerduty to pushover. Easily enough done in m/monit, just set up new alerting rules.

The problem is that pushover is a simpler service - pagerduty will handle automatically sending 'reminder' alerts at whatever intervals are desired for escalation - pushover simply sends one alert on one event.

The related problem is that when using monit with m/monit (at least as far as I can tell) - you can only specify 'alert' in the local machine's individual monit config files, and cannot therefore specify 'reminders', repeating the alert until the event clears. The monit manual only describes setting reminders with a supplied email address - adding a reminder stanza without an email address fails syntax check.

If I were to switch over to simply a 'then execute /usr/local/bin/pushovers' on each local machine to make the api call, I can add a 'repeat every X cycles' - but then it takes m/monit out of the picture, I believe. I don't see a way to establish a reminder in the alert rules in the admin panel in m/monit.

Thoughts, workarounds, solutions?

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com