Re: conditional service start or stop

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: conditional service start or stop
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:42:17 +0100

Hi,

yes, you can use the exc action to call monit CLI command, for example:

--8<--
check process p1 with path …
   start program = …
   stop program = …
   group main
   if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then exec "/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/monit -g
main stop && /usr/bin/monit -g backup start'"

check process p2 with path …
   start program = …
   stop program = …
   group backup
   mode manual
--8<--

=>
1.) the service group called "main" contains service "p1" and is started by
default
2.) the service group called "backup" contains service "p2" and is not started
unless requested by user ("mode manual") - that request is triggered via the
exec action when the process p1 restarted too frequently without effect.

Note that the monitoring mode is persistent across restarts => if you recovered
the service and want to return it back, you should do: "monit -g backup stop &&
monit -g main start"

Regards,
Martin