Re: Force monitoring of service?

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Re: Force monitoring of service?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:24:06 +1000

However after having removed the timeout line from the monit config file and restarting, monit has not automatically restarted the services, which is something I expected it should do. I believe this is because it thinks the services have been stopped manually, so I am looking for a way of telling it that no, the service really died and you should restart it if it's not already running when monit first loads.

I believe what you want is your startup config's to have just after monit is started this call:
monit start all

Thanks Gareth - unfortunately this doesn't start the services. I think it's because "monit status" reports the affected services as "not monitored" so they're excluded from the 'start all' command.

Running "monit monitor all" doesn't help either, these two services are still listed as "not monitored" and I can't see why.

For reference here's the monitrc section for one of the services:

check process exim with pidfile /var/run/exim.pid
        group mail
        start program = "/etc/init.d/exim start"
        stop  program = "/etc/init.d/exim stop"
        if failed port 25 protocol smtp then restart
        # Don't do this in case of an extended outage
        #if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
        depends on exim_bin
        depends on exim_rc

check file exim_bin with path /usr/sbin/exim
        group mail
        if failed permission 4711 then unmonitor
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid root then unmonitor

check file exim_rc with path /etc/init.d/exim
        group mail
        if failed permission 755 then unmonitor
        if failed uid root then unmonitor
        if failed gid root then unmonitor

And here's what "monit status" reports:

Process 'exim'
  status                            not monitored
  monitoring status                 not monitored
  data collected                    Fri Jan 21 14:21:28 2011

File 'exim_bin'
  status                            accessible
  monitoring status                 monitored
  permission                        4711
  uid                               0
  gid                               0
  timestamp                         Thu Nov 20 03:34:48 2008
  size                              893528 B
  data collected                    Fri Jan 21 14:21:28 2011

File 'exim_rc'
  status                            accessible
  monitoring status                 monitored
  permission                        755
  uid                               0
  gid                               0
  timestamp                         Thu Nov 20 03:34:48 2008
  size                              738 B
  data collected                    Fri Jan 21 14:21:28 2011

The pidfile is present and correct, and there's nothing in the logs to indicate why the 'exim' service is not being monitored.

Cheers,
Adam.