Re: [monit] Remote failure triggers local program

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Remote failure triggers local program
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:34:38 +0100

If the remote program can be remotely monitored (for example it is listening on some port and providing service), you can use host check:

  check host myhost with address 10.1.1.2
    if failed port 1234 then exec "/foo/bar start"

If the remote program is not providing any network service, then the monit instance running on remote host could trigger action for local monit host via http interface.

We'll also support calling actions on other monit agents when some event occurred on one monit agent via M/Monit (http://www.mmonit.com). It supports rules where it will be possible to say that if for example "oracle" failed on host "a" then start "oracle" on host "b".

Martin

Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
Hi, all.

I'd like to be able to fire off a local program only if a remote program goes down. How do I set up monit to do this?

Thanks.

Dimitri