Re: [monit] how to specify this tricky situation

From: David Blank-Edelman
Subject: Re: [monit] how to specify this tricky situation
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:20:09 -0400

Hi Martin-

Welcome back from vacation and thanks for your response.

On Jun 21, 2008, at 6:01 AM, Martin Pala wrote:

Monit 5.0 will most probably solve he problem - it will wait for service to start before testing the next service.

I'm actually using the 5.0 beta, so this is good news. I saw the release notes mention that starting of services was now synchronous, but I wasn't certain that the checks were as well. I was also not sure if my issue had to do with _stopping_ of services being asynchronous.

Since the restart script is common, you can use common service entry in monit, joining the smtp port and process check, something like:

--8<--
 check process spam_proxy with pidfile /var/run/spam.pid
   start program = ...
   stop program = ...
   if failed port 25 protocol smtp then restart
--8<--

Ah! Didn't even think to (or that I could) do that. That's great, thanks!

      -- dNb