Re: TOTALMEMORY statement does not work properly on Linux

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: TOTALMEMORY statement does not work properly on Linux
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 19:02:58 +0200

Hi,

this warning is realy related just to the "totalmemory" statement.

The problem was, that in the past the total memory usage was based on the sum of the resident segment size of all processes. This value was not correct since it didn't recognized the shared RSS (libraries, etc.) so it seemed that more physical memory is used then it was available.

The warning is not valid anymore and can be removed from monit - the total memory usage on linux is based quite long time on the proc interface (meminfo) which is correct.

Martin

Brian C wrote:
Hi,

I just started using monit on a SuSE 9.3 server to monitor Apache 2, sshd, and mysql. I love it.

/var/log/messages shows this error every time monit starts:

Warning: TOTALMEMORY statement does not work properly on Linux

I assume this is a reference to the directive in my monitrc that reads:

 if totalmem > 500 MB for 5 cycles then restart

So, what's the story here? Does this not work on GNU/Linux servers? Is there a bug filed or feature request filed to make it work? Thanks for any info.