advanced HTTP query (cookies)

From: Ben Hartshorne
Subject: advanced HTTP query (cookies)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:28:10 -0700

Hi all,

I am interested in monitoring a web site in a little bit more depth.
By testing certain funcitonality through the front end, I can infer that
a service suporting the front end is running successfully.  I'm also
monitoring the back end directly, but I like to get it 'as the customer
sees it.'

In order to complete this HTTP query, I must include cookies in my
request.  The following wget line will successfully get as deep as I
would like to go:

wget --cookies=off --header "Cookie:
sh3=id%3D1970583178430e5e1b0a3b72.85050652%3Bcv%3D2%3Brv%3D3d3b01f6%3B;
sh2=db%3De8744%3Bcso%3D430e5fcd%3Bslu%3D430e5e1b%3Bref%3Dsh%3B"
http://www.simplyhired.com/index.php?ds=sr\&mj=1

I must then parse the returned page for "Jobs 1 - 1" to verify success.

I don't see any documentation on how to specify a more complex query
using the 'url' option, which would be best.

I was suprised not to see an external program as a test for monit - i.e.
run an external program (such as the wget line above, or a shell script
that runs wget and then parses the output on its own), which then
returns success or failure.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to implement the test I need?

Thanks,

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne