Monit 4.4 - Apache Connection Failed

From: Martin Kloss
Subject: Monit 4.4 - Apache Connection Failed
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:58:25 +0100

Hi there,

I've been using monit for quite some time now, without problems.
But I've just upgrade from 4.1 to 4.4 and now monit can't connect
to the apache process anymore, for whatever reason.

Here's my config for monitoring apache on a SuSE 8.1 machine:

check process apache
    with pidfile "/var/run/httpd.pid"
    start program = "/usr/sbin/apachectl startssl"
    stop program  = "/usr/sbin/apachectl stop"
    if failed port 80 protocol http then restart
if failed port 443 type tcpssl protocol http with timeout 15 seconds then restart
    if loadavg(5min) > 1.0 for 2 cycles then alert
    if cpu > 90% for 5 cycles then restart
    if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
    alert address@hidden on {restart, timeout}
      with mail-format {
                from:   address@hidden
                subject: MONIT $EVENT - SERVER
      }

When I start monit, I always get the "connection failed" message
and then monit goes into "not monitored" mode for that process.
All other processes like mysql, named or other services are being
monitored without a problem, it's only apache (1.3.31) that causes
the trouble.

The pid file is indeed in /var/run and has always been there.
A killall -9 httpd and manual restart showed no other pid's or problems.
Apache is started by root and then runs as wwwrun
Monit is started by root and runs as root.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this "connection failure"?
I searched the archive but couldn't find anything helpful.

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Skype me 24/7: callto://martinkloss

Like the author? Buy the book: