Script works but not very happy

From: Stratos Misinezis
Subject: Script works but not very happy
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:50:39 +0200

Hi List and Andreas
Thanks for reply....

Here is the script that works for me..........

set daemon  5
set logfile /var/log/monit
set httpd port 2812 address 127.0.0.1 allow monit:monit
set mailserver localhost
set alert address@hidden

check device rootfs with path /
if space usage > 99% then alert
if inode usage > 99% then alert

check host ha1 with address 192.168.1.20
if failed icmp type echo with timeout 5 seconds
          then exec "/etc/init.d/heartbeat stop"
          alert address@hidden

#check process httpd with pidfile /var/run/httpd.pid
#start program = "/etc/init.d/httpd start"
#stop program  = "/etc/init.d/httpd stop"

#alert address@hidden

#check process heartbeat with pidfile /var/run/heartbeat.pid
#start program = "/etc/init.d/heartbeat start"
#stop program = "/etc/init.d/heartbeat stop"
if failed host 192.168.1.20 port 80 then exec "/etc/init.d/heartbeat stop"
#alert address@hidden

for some strange reason if I take out the lines from the script refuses to work.
The idea is to monit (on my one node) to ping to my virtual IP address
and if it finds out that  does not reply to stop heartbeat as well. It
works ok...but then the echo with 5 seconds is too long......need to
press 5-6 times F5 on my web page before I see the other node to come
up. Strange, when I lower the value....of 5 to 1 for example see that
the heartbeat service goes up and down.....

Any ideas to make it more efficiently?

Thanks in advance