Re: Problems reading process vitals on FreeBSD when the monitored proces

From: Ralf Hack
Subject: Re: Problems reading process vitals on FreeBSD when the monitored process is swapped out
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:32:10 +0000

Christian,
I ventured down the busy road of Google a bit myself. It appears that somewhere in the distant past even 'ps' reported 0 as memory amount for swapped out processes, not anymore though. Current ps (FreeBSD 5.2,http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/bin/ps/ps.c?rev=1.64&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup) just points to the kvm_getprocs() interface as source of data. Maybe this is a better way to gather information ?

Interestingly enought, the current 'ps' has a '-f' flag:

    -f      Show commandline and environment information about swapped out
processes. This option is honored only if the uid of the user is
            0.

implying that the kernel does not track resources completely that are swapped out. Perhaps in this case, it is acceptable for monit to omit the memory test for FreeBSD for processes that are swapped out. There is some logic to this but unreliable from monit's perspective when checking resource usage.

Thanks very much for you input.

Ralf.