Re: Feature request: /etc/monit.d config directory and include support

From: Martin
Subject: Re: Feature request: /etc/monit.d config directory and include support
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:36:25 +0100

----- Původní zpráva -----
Od: Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden>
Datum: Čtvrtek, 11.prosince 2003 - 11:35 dop.

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I think that is a good idea, too... +1.  But that might mean
> that we
> > need some kind of preprocessor stage before we can parse.
>
> Maybe we can do some hack with the lexer so it can switch input files
> (files to scan tokens from) on the fly? We'll figure this out when we
> start the implementation. Thanks for the vote, I have update our TODO
> list with this feature at http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/next.html
> see #5.
>
> >> (I'm also playing with the idea to make
> >> it possible to configure monit from it's own web-interface.
> It's just
> >> an idea and I haven't done any work on it yet).
> >
> > I thought of that too, but I have some concerns when it comes to
> it...>
> > - security... by changing any values it would be possible to start
> >   arbitrary code from there.
>
> Good point, yes, that is a big concern, but it would also be an
> incredible useful feature and make configuring monit very easy. Also
> make it possible to configure monit remotely which would be very
> useful for applications such as m/monit. But, yes, security is a real
> concern and requiring Basic Auth. (and SSL), must be mandatory.
>
> > - config writer... it is quite difficult if the CW is just modifying
> >   the existing config file instead of writing down the contents
> of the
> >   structure.  I think that would be hard to read for the admin.
>
> That brings us back to using XML for the config file and including a
> small XML parser to read and write the config file. It's not an easy
> thing to do, i.e. to switch from our current nice control file
> language to XML. But if we should implement monit-configuration via
> the web-interface, XML seems to be the way to go. Changing config-file
> language is a big thing to do so we need to think this through.

I think it could be easier to extend monit by support for configuration via
database as discussed in the past. Then monit will be able to read its
configuration from central or distributed database (for example ldap or sql)
and managment interface (m/monit) can just manage configuration at one place.
As soon as you will decide to aply new configuration on appropriate node, you
can send 'reload' command to monit via http.

What about it?