Re: Problem monitoring a PID file

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Problem monitoring a PID file
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:39:48 +0200

Phil Guier <address@hidden> writes:

> First some background info. I am using monit to monitor httpd and sshd on
> a remotely located voicemail system. I would like to also monitor the
> daemon that is running the voicemail application but it doesn't "listen"
> on any port. Netstat shows that it is a Unix socket.
>
> The application is AsteriskPBX and all I want to do is monitor the
> asterisk.pid file in /var/run/ and if monit doesn't see it, it will email
> me.
>
> Here is the code snippet:
>
> check asterisk with pidfile /var/run/asterisk.pid
> alert address@hidden
>   with mail-format {subject: Asterisk is down!}
>
> When I shut down asterisk, and the pidfile is gone, monit doesn't email me
> or even post an entry to the /var/log/monit logfile. (BTW-the sshd and
> httpd pidfile checks work just fine. They also specify hosts and ports. )
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong, it's us :-) Seems like the code was
changed and that you will have to define at least a start statement
for monit to send you a report. This is a bug and we will certainly
re-add this feature in the upcomming monit release, so your statement
will work again.

I think you will have to go back to monit-3.0 to get what you need.
(Check the change log though since bugs have been fixed. Check that
they do not affect you if you decide to go for the 3.0 release).

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland