Re[2]: SSL problem

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re[2]: SSL problem
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:28:22 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Klemen Vodopivec wrote:

Hi!

> CH> What OS and what openssl version are you using?  Is the certificate self
> CH> certified or CA certified?
>
> Debian 3.0 Woody with openssl 0.9.6c

That's okay... I use Debian/Testing with openssl 0.9.7 and Solaris 2.7
with openssl 0.9.6e for dev.  These symtoms are there to from time to
time.  But they dont seem to have an effect.

I have to start to gather all these "there is something wrong but it seems
to work" problems.  But its kinda tricky in openssl... but the source is
always you best friend. (-:

> I used 'Generation of a "pemfile":' section of README.SSL to create
> certificates, so I guess it is not self signed.

No, then it is self signed.  If you want it to be signed you need to have
(access to) a CA.  Maybe the links in the README.SSL says something about
a homebrew CA.

> About errors, once I even got 1409E0E5:SSL error, but have no access
> to the machine now to see the logs. Anything helpful?

It is a side effect of self signed certificates.  Not common, but they
happen.  To find out what it is I have to dive into the openssl source
again.  I hopefully find out!

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113