Re: Path and argument problem... solution?

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Path and argument problem... solution?
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:56:31 +0200 (CEST)

On 31 Aug 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Christian Hopp <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > For instance this string will not be trimmed correctely:
> > >
> > >   '"text"' you will get:  text"'
> >
> > Actually not... at least my test proved me something else.  If the
> > string is quoted ['] it will search for the next ['], if it is quoted
> > ["] it searches for the next ["].  I save the first s/d quote in
> > "tmp".
>
> Try with "'text'" I do get text'"  :)

S***, a missing break. )-: Fixed.

> > Afaik, the commands don't want quotes and if you need some, you can
> > put them it the quotes... "'test'" gives 'test'.
>
> Hmm, as the lexer is implemented now, you cannot have " in a double
> quoted string. This is a weakness but I cannot see an easy way around
> this. Anyway, I suppose you are right (but I still have a nagging
> suspicion, but can't think of an example)

If you need double quotes somewhere in your command, you need to "quote"
them.  But we have to remove the outer quotes because you need it to give
arguments with spaces from time to time but without quotes around it.
Sounds confusing? |-:

Another way would be... in case a user needs quotes in a command he/she
has to escape them, but that needs that we "exclude" escaped quotes as
delimiters.

> > I think it is okay... I think for the most readers it might be
> > annoying to get all the patches or CVS updates.
>
> Absolutely, so you vote for a new developer list then ?

+1 for a new dev list.

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113