Re: [RFD] monit 3.0 release

From: Rory Toma
Subject: Re: [RFD] monit 3.0 release
Date: 30 Aug 2002 16:13:42 -0700

> 3. Proposal - Redefinition of scope
>
>    The above feature list is a mix of important and less important
>    features. I suggest that we tighten the list and redefine the scope
>    as follows:
>
>      Item 3. dependencies(*) and item 8. External programs(+) should
>      make it into the 3.0 release, while item 1, 2 and 4 (the group
>      part) are moved out of the scope.
>
>    * Item 3. is Rory's domain but I suspect that you (Rory) haven't
>      had time to work much with this? If this is the case I suggest
>      that we take this item out off scope for now.
>
>    + Item 8 should definitely make it into the 3.0 release. This is
>      currently my task but if anyone volunteer to take over I would
>      happily accept. (In that case let me know in a few days). The
>      scope of 8. is reduced to calling an external program whenever
>      any of the following events take place, [restart, stop, timeout,
>      checksum] or possibly also for a resource events. Item 8. should
>      also be combined with a skeleton C/python/perl program to
>      demonstrate how to imlement a snmp-trap. Volunteers?

When is 3.0 slated to be released. The dependency stuff is now
officially in my quarterly goals and I expect it to be done in
September. Item 8 is probably useful to me. I think I can work on that
after I finish the dependency stuff.

> 4. Testing
>
>    We need to test the new monit 3.0 release on the following
>    plattforms, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD. I guess, Christian, Rory,
>    Martin (when he's back), Thomas and I can test on Linux and
>    Solaris, but we need volunteers for FreeBSD and possibly other
>    plattforms. For instance it would be nice if we could have a Mac OS
>    X version of monit. But I and no one I know have access to Mac OS X.

I installed a FreeBSD box, and just replaced my Sparc 5 with an Ultra 5
($150 on ebay...) I also have a MacOS X machine, perhaps I'll give that
a shot.

>    I suggest Monday, 16. September as a tentative release date.

I guess I should read the whole email before replying... 8-)
I probably won't have the dep stuff done by then, probably by the end of
September.

--
Rory Toma               address@hidden
VP of Run Level 5       http://www.trs80.net