Re: UDP socket tests useless

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: UDP socket tests useless
Date: 13 Aug 2002 02:49:34 +0200

Nils Ohlmeier <address@hidden> writes:

> To prove the above simply create a check entry for monit with a 'port x use
> type udp', where x is any udp port on your host where no application is
> listen (e.g. 'port 9 use type udp'). The connection test will always succeed
> although no application is listen.
>
> Deduction: a udp connection test without protocol test is useless.

First, thanks for the feedback. After taking time to browse through
Stevens book UNP, I have added new code (along the lines previously
sent to the maling list) which seems to work with udp. The technique
used is to send a 0 byte udp package and check for an (asynchronous)
ICMP error. The new udp test does work on my RH 7.2 system. Could you
do me a favor and test it out?

You must grab the new version from CVS, here's what to do:

1) cd /tmp
2) cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/monit co monit
3) cd monit
4) run: autoconf
5) run: ./configure
6) run: make
7) run: make install (as root)

Please, let me know if it works for you!

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland