monit-dev

Re: [monit-dev] Feature suggestion: SNMP support in Monit

From: Lior Okman
Subject: Re: [monit-dev] Feature suggestion: SNMP support in Monit
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 19:56:57 +0300

On 09/04/2011 05:08 PM, Martin Pala wrote:
Hi Lior,

thank you for explaining the plan, we see the point and undestand that better SNMP support can be useful in SNMP-oriented environments.

At this point however, we prefer not to integrate Monit with Net-SNMP - our approach is to keep Monit simple with minimum dependencies on 3rd party libraries, so if everything fail, monit will keep running and will be able to report and fix problems.
Is the objection to the Net-SNMP suite in particular, or to 3rd party libraries in general?

To provide support for integrating monit with other systems (like SNMP), we plan to add general framework for custom actions, so it will be possible to use plugins like sending SNMP trap, SMS gateway plugin, tex-to-speach, etc. This way the plugins will be isolated and if there will be some bug let's say in Net-SNMP, it won't make Monit vulnerable nor crash it.

This indeed makes supporting SNMP notifications unnecessary directly in Monit.

However, that's only half of the SNMP story. How are you planning to make it possible to query monit about the services that it is currently monitoring while using SNMP? This isn't a trap/notification based action, it's more like being able to use the "monit status" command from a remote machine using SNMP facilities.

Best regards,

Martin

Regards,

Lior