monit-dev

first take at monitrc.d/ here :)

From: Michael Shigorin
Subject: first take at monitrc.d/ here :)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:47:59 +0200

        Hi,
Igor handed me fresh src.rpm (4.2-20040217) and here we are.

He's included /etc/monitrc.d/ in the package along with
/etc/monitrc; I've merged sample record in that with what's
running now and moved to separate files.

#0: probably "generic setup" is what belongs to /etc/monitrc :-)

Here's what's there now:

---
# grep -v ^# /etc/monitrc | uniq
set httpd port 2812 and   # Make monit start it's web-server
    use address localhost # and only accept connection from localhost
    allow localhost       # allow localhost to connect to the server and
    allow admin:monit     # user 'admin' with password 'monit'

include /etc/monitrc.d/*

set daemon 120
set logfile syslog
set mailserver localhost
---

(enabled builtin web server, verified builtin SMTP client config)

/etc/monitrc.d/{apache,apache-mod_ssl,mail-format} attached;
comments in no particular order:

- for "check file", generating script seems to be reasonable.
  Thinking on a proper one since the files are supposed to be
  administrator-editable, and I'm interested in a script that
  would be OK being called in %post of rpm package.

  It would need only to update md5/perms and nothing more.

- duplicating like "if failed perms... if failed uid/gid..." is
  the price for more fine-graininess, but is it feasible to do
  some "global policies" -- for "default" (or unnamed?)
  file/process -- which would initialize every service if not
  specifically overridden? (default group and alert target seem
  to belong there too)

BTW, if the above matters, then consider breaking

---
  if failed checksum and
    expect the sum df48b1d3f93382a595c0b3f7b584bb5e then unmonitor
---

back into something like

---
  expect checksum df48b1d3f93382a595c0b3f7b584bb5e
  if failed checksum then unmonitor
---

so that the latter would be policializable (ffuh :)

PS: seems Igor landed some snippets here:
http://people.altlinux.ru/~homyakov/packages/monit/monitrc.d/

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <address@hidden>