monit-dev

Re: Config reread issues...

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Config reread issues...
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:22:30 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2003, Rory Toma wrote:

> I would not be opposed to having monit only reload if sent a signal.
>
> That being said, one should still make sure all of their services
> (including monit) are running after making changes. It's a "best
> practices" procedure.

The thing is usually if you change a config file you don't change a
running process (like monit).  So editing a config file shouldnT cause
monit to get into trouble as long as you donT tell monit to reload.  It is
just that you are used to that editing the config and then triggering the
service.

> Furthermore, if you are running a production system, you don't make
> changes to it w/o testing somewhere else first, and still testing on the
> production system.

For us "somewhere else" is the problem.  And I don't have a problem
finding out if monit is runnning afterwards or not.   But if you are one
of these "save early... save often" persons you don't want the service to
reread all of your changes right away.

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113