mldonkey-users

Re: [Mldonkey-users] Traffic shaping

From: Martin Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Traffic shaping
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:08:20 +0100

Hi Goswin,

> 1. QoS scheduling

>   root --- HTB 128 KBit limit which dsl has here
>              +-- 126 - 128 KBit normal traffic
>              +--   1 -  64 KBit SYN/ACK/FIN/RST mldonkey connects
>              +--   1 -  64 KBit mldonkey data

> Further I have mldonkey usually limited to 4-6 KB/s upload, which
> gives about 8 KB/s up traffic.

And thats your ceiling on your mldonkey HTB.

Please do a 'tc -s class show dev $YOURDEV' and post your results. You
will see, that your mldonkey-traffic goes only to one of your two
classes. My mldonkey gets marked only one way... there are simply no
SYN/ACK/FIN/RST NONE packets from mldonkey.

> The solution would be for mldonkey to realy only send out X Byte/s and
> priotise internally. It should send less than X B/s uploads if it
> already used 2 KB for searching and connects. But mldonkey should not
> just stop sending when X KB has been sent but priotize on what to
> send. Send chat first, block requests and searches next and only at
> the very end uploads.

Full ACK. But since the devs already said something in the line of
'much work' and 'effecting most parts of mldonkey' i don't expect
something new in mldonkeys traffic control soon. Too bad I don't speak
ocaml. Should be enough if i know, mldonkey will send all uploaddata to
someone else from port $UPPORT and all other from a different port.

Gruß,
  Martin

--
PGP public key ID:  0x27D580B5
PGP public key fingerprint: 3761 E66D 8600 EF88  A547 65B7 1CBC 1F8F