mldonkey-users

Re: [Mldonkey-users] rare chunks of populars files

From: Roland Arendes
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] rare chunks of populars files
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:33:03 +0100

hi Joseph,

am Dienstag, 21. Januar 2003 um 16:49 schriebst du:

J> it perhaps needs to extend the protocol ... but if the client dosent
J> support it and all but these chunks has already been downloaded, it
J> should be good to add all of its known source for this file to our
J> source queue (should work if he is currently downloding the file. and
J> with the credit system, its sources have more chances to get the chunk)
J> what do you think of that ?

What I think of it? Even more overhead, even less upload.

mldonkey already has the problem of too much overhead (try to monitor
your upstream (which is likely to be full), and do a nu for about 60
minutes, and watch how many kB/s you have free.).

With the default settings, mldonkey has already about 5-10k/s upload
of control/request/propagation messages, leaving very little upload
(for me, I only have 128kbps).

I mentioned this a few times on the mailinglist, but it doesn't seem
to matter anyone.

-roland