mldonkey-users

[Mldonkey-users] Improvements on emules

From: Martin Kuhlmann
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Improvements on emules
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:49:10 +0100

Hi ppl,

  OK, we all knew, emules have huge queues and a credit system. At
  first contact you get a place far at the end of the queue. Now you
  have to say 'i'm alive' every now and then and hope, you get a slot
  some time in the future.

  Meanwhile other clients get their place after you in the queue,
  upload something to this client and - due to the credit system -
  they can get in front of you in the queue.

  Until now we are only compaining about that. But is there no way we
  can put it to work for us? Lets say we get a place in their queue.
  Wouldn't it be positive for our score to upload something to them?
  Let's give these emules we want to get data from some credits. We
  would be faster climbing up the queue.

  Or is there a way to ask them for their desired files, look what we
  have and offer it to them? After he knows we have it he will
  connecting to us like every other client but get credit.

  The hole credit system have to be very balanced between giving
  upload slots to new clients and giving it to clients we want
  something from.

  A Credit system only makes sense with a (somewhat smaller) Queue
  similar to emule.

  I see positiv effects it could have on the net. But there are major
  drawbacks too. You are punished for sharing nothing - good. But you
  are also punished for sharing rare files - bad. On the other hand:
  you have 50% of file A and someone you are connected to has the
  other 50% of this file. You get credits as he does from each other
  and so you can exchange the 50% completely. Without credits or a
  queue you can not download all from him (not quite sure about that
  exactly).

  You are punished for sharing files which are not the same type as
  the files you want. For example client A and client B are both great
  manga fans. They get along with each other best. Hmmm

Gruß,
  Martin

--
PGP public key ID:  0x27D580B5
PGP public key fingerprint: 3761 E66D 8600 EF88  A547 65B7 1CBC 1F8F