mit-scheme-devel

Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Blowfish, MD5, mcrypt, mhash

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Blowfish, MD5, mcrypt, mhash
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 09:15:37 -0700

On Fri, 2017-11-03 at 01:32 +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> We definitely shouldn't advertise Blowfish as `one of the faster
> block ciphers'

I laughed at that too.  Feel free to fix.

> I polled mit-scheme-users for who uses these and for what.  Anyone
> here have thoughts on this?  I'm volunteering to do the work to
> provide drop-in MD5 and Blowfish code replacements in microcode/, and
> get rid of the rest if nobody objects.

I would be happy to wrap a modern library if someone were to suggest
one.  I'm just trying to kill microcode modules.  Nicer plug-ins with
documentation, replacing all of the old modules, is just part of that
campaign.  Wrapping more desirable libraries could also be a part.

A native Scheme implementation would be cool too, though I reserve my
powder for libraries that do IO.  I can't stand a library that blocks
my world.