mit-scheme-devel

[MIT-Scheme-devel] a MIME body structure parser for non-IMAP folders in

From: Taylor Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] a MIME body structure parser for non-IMAP folders in IMAIL
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:34:24 +0000 (UTC)

This weekend I was somewhat randomly inspired to write a MIME parser
for IMAIL.  It still needs some work, and I haven't tested it beyond a
couple simple examples, but it could be useful, I think.  I have a few
questions that arose from it:

If I wish to include it in MIT Scheme, would it be most convenient to
assign the copyright to MIT?  I'm uninterested in being swamped in
legal matters, so I would opt for the simplest path in that regard;
also, a bit of the code is very similar to existing code in Edwin,
such as a slightly extended RFC822 header field value tokenizer.

Is there any way to cache the Boyer-Moore string search table and then
to reuse it for multiple searches?  Judging by the source of its
implementation in runtime/string.scm, this is not possible, but it
would seem to be a very useful operation.

I'm unclear on how line endings are managed in the new I/O system and
IMAIL's infrastructure.  String input/output ports don't seem to
translate line endings, regardless of PORT/SET-LINE-ENDING.  Is it
reliable that IMAIL messages will contain only #\NEWLINE characters,
not CRLFs, if their contents are taken by passing a string output port
to WRITE-MESSAGE-BODY?  (The MIME parser currently relies on this.)
If not, what can I rely on?