Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Newbie trouble with installing MXE

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Newbie trouble with installing MXE
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 00:05:06 +1000

Welcome Guillaume,

> On 10 Jun 2016, at 21:59, DILASSER Guillaume <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I already compiled and tested the Linux executable and it worked fine.

That’s always a good start.

> A quick last note before I explain the issue I am facing with MXE : my Linux
> machine is in fact a VMware virtual box running on a Windows 10 host (I do
> not know if that is of any importance with regard of the issue).

It’s not an issue per-se, VMs have performance and resource considerations, if
you have sufficient memory and disk space[1], the only issue is choice of
OS/Distro (see below).

> I have followed the tutorial on MXE’s website to install the it but I am
> stuck on step 3a. Using “make” returns an error about unauthorized operation
> on disk (a folder cannot be “rm”) so I figured I should probably use “su
> make”.

MXE itself never requires escalated privileges - the only time you need to do
that is when installing requirements.

> Doing so I have another issue : a syntax error in the configure script
> (syntax error near unexpected token ‘0.16’). I have enclosed the log with
> this email. Does anyone know what I should do to solve this problem ? Thank
> you in advance,

From the log, you seem to have the latest versions of autoconf/automake on a
system with outdated gcc/perl/python. That failure is designed to expose
mismatched autotools/libtool/pkg-config issues, I’m guessing you’ve installed
some packages manually.

Since it’s "just a VM", I’d recommend using a general purpose distro that is
more recent.

If you’re getting started, Debian (or derivatives like Ubuntu) are the best
choice. There are pre-built packages[2] to get a working environment up and
running so you can focus on compilation issues rather than the toolchain.

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/1381
[2] http://pkg.mxe.cc/