Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] which package provides QT4 qmake.exe

From: Martin Müllenhaupt
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] which package provides QT4 qmake.exe
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:12:13 +0200

Hi Rashad,

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:24:16 PM Rashad M wrote:
> I have qt4 cross compiled with mxe. But when I look into
> <mxe-target-dir>/qt/bin/ qmake is not native. It is not a windows
> executable.

I think, mxe is not suitable for building development packages (dll+headers)
for using in Windows. The most important issue will be non-portability for C++
dlls across compilers (C dlls might work though).
The qt dlls might be usable using a similar MinGW compiler on Windows. But if
you use MSVC, your qt dlls from mxe will be useless, since MSVC could not link
them.

The qmake executable is not native for Windows, since it is a qt installation
for cross compiling. You compile your project on *nix and run it on Windows.
For compiling on *nix you need a qmake executable which runs on *nix.

You could try to cross compile your whole project using mxe.
I use CMake successfully for cross compiling a lot of my projects.

If you need a ready-made Qt installation for Windows, there are pre-built
packages available from the qt website.

If you still want to compile a qmake.exe from mxe, there might be configure
options for the qt library, but I doubt that.

Regards

Martin