Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE: How to build a self-sufficient DLL that

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE: How to build a self-sufficient DLL that statically includes other libraries?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:55:11 +0200

On 27/03/15 10:59, Matthias Geier wrote:
In case somebody is interested: I found a solution!

After a lot of experimenting and searching the web, I finally found
out that it's actually quite simple.

Static libraries can be converted to DLLs with gcc (which in turn
calls ld) using the -shared flag. Without this flag, gcc would try to
make an .exe file, which wouldn't work because there is no main
function (and besides, I don't want an .exe file anyway).

The essential part, which took me quite a while to find out, is to use
the option -Wl,--whole-archive; otherwise the generated DLL will be
essentially empty!

That is very useful!

And I just found out what the difference was between you and me: I didn't specify the "--enable-external-libs" configure option. I simply removed the "--disable-external-libs" option instead, wrongly assuming that this enables external libraries (vorbis, flac). It doesn't, so I wasn't getting any errors.