Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Any hints on how to debug on MXE?

From: Nagaev Boris
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Any hints on how to debug on MXE?
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 22:13:48 +0000

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 15/02/15 23:40, Nagaev Boris wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> And it seems that's not even possible? From:
>>>
>>>    http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-5.4/windows-deployment.html
>>>
>>> "Since we cannot deploy plugins using the static linking approach, the
>>> application we have prepared is incomplete. It will run, but the
>>> functionality will be disabled due to the missing plugins. To deploy
>>> plugin-based applications we should use the shared library approach."
>>>
>>> So is this a no-go with MXE?
>>

>> Qt's to- and from-unicode codecs work in MXE, at least in master
>> branch with Qt 4.
>>
>> Try the following:
>>
>> 1. Use stable branch of MXE instead of master branch of MXE
>> 2. Use Qt 4 instead of Qt 5
>> 3. Use shared libraries instead of static. See configuration variable
>> MXE_TARGETS.
>

> Qt4 is not an option (and it already works fine.) I'm specifically trying to
> get Qt5 to work for video support on Windows (Qt4 lacks QtMultimedia).
Qt 4 has module QtMultimedia
https://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qtmultimedia.html

> I'll try shared libraries. Though it doesn't seem to allow me to just
> specify one single package? Keep everything static except Qt5? Is that
> possible?
I don't know how common dependencies of Qt and other (static)
libraries act in this situation.

> I'll try just manually removing "-static" from the qt mk files.

This work is already done. See the last lines of file src/qtbase.mk:

$(PKG)_BUILD_SHARED = $(subst -static ,-shared ,\
                      $($(PKG)_BUILD))

To make use of this definition, you'd better to compile all  MXE
libraries shared:

$ make MXE_TARGETS=i686-w64-mingw32.shared

Nevertheless consider moving to stable branch of MXE. It is less buggy
and has both Qt 4 and Qt 5 as well as master branch.

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev