Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE and wclang

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE and wclang
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 01:47:16 +1000

On 15 Apr 2014, at 16:11, Nagaev Boris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> There are great tools MXE and wclang. MXE automates build of windows
> binaries from Linux, wclang wrapps clang for cross-compilation to
> Windows. Why not to use them together? Could developers of MXE
> integrate wclang into MXE?

Hi Boris,

wclang looks like overkill if we were going to introduce clang support in MXE.
We’d have a specific version to support and predictable paths, so would simply
use shell wrappers for the cross-tools (as we do with pkg-config). We’d
probably also use the llvm equivalents of binutils and build the runtime from
source (it’s not clear how much wclang depends on an existing cross-toolchain).

From the looks of it, you can probably already use both yourself - with some
symlinks and $PATH manipulation. There’s some hard-coded gcc/g++ calls in MXE
(particularly test invocations), and we could be better about respecting “CC".