Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] i586-pc-linux-gnu not building

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] i586-pc-linux-gnu not building
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:10:10 +1000

On 15 Apr 2014, at 10:46, Ken Restivo <address@hidden> wrote:

> First of all, thanks for MXE. I'm trying to make a modification to an ancient
> cross-platform program and was trying to rationalize/sanitize its build
> environment.
>
> I was experimenting around with using MXE to cross-compile not only for
> Windows but for i586 binaries as well.  (And yes, I know static compilation
> isn't supported yet, but I might make an attempt at  once I understand MXE
> better).
>
> I noticed that building GCC with i586-pc-linux-gnu doesn't actually put the
> gcc in the bin directory, i.e.
>

> address@hidden /home/src/mxe/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnu/bin]$ l

This was recently fixed in master[1]. However, I’m not sure what you’re doing
to get i586-pc-linux-gnu to build gcc at all. If you’ve modified “gcc.mk”,
could you post it?

> Is there any reason why gcc for the 32-bit linux envs should not work?

Mostly as it’s not very practical at the moment[2]. You can “trick" MXE into
doing native builds (with the $(PKG)_BUILD_$(BUILD) construct in master), but a
correct cross-build for *-*-linux-gnu will require the kernel headers and glibc
runtime.

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/540c9e8f323951c1b33a48ecc286c5449348ce0c
[2]
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2014-03/msg00034.html