Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Merging MXE Octave - first steps (was What ge

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Merging MXE Octave - first steps (was What gets compiled into DLL by libtool (licencing issues))
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:20:22 -0500

On 02/26/2014 01:01 AM, Tony Theodore wrote:

On 26 Feb 2014, at 04:57, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

Also, mxe-octave is now using mingw-w64 for both 32- and 64-bit
systems so we aren't downloading binary bits for the mingw runtime
libraries.  Are you also headed in that direction?

No, we plan to support mingw.org for the foreseeable future, we’ll have the new
v4 soon and may keep the v3 around if people need it. I hear anecdotes that
some projects are no longer supporting mingw.org and if that turns out to be
true, then we can selectively disable the target. If you only set the *-w64-*
targets, it shouldn’t download the mingw.org packages so this shouldn’t have
any impact on people using a single toolchain.

I'm not sure I understand. Looking at gcc.mk in MXE, it appears that the only 32-bit option is mingw.org and downloading mingwrt libraries in binary form. Is that correct? If so, would you consider an option that allows building the 32-bit compiler from the mingw-w64 project sources? Or is that already possible by using the right target for Make?

jwe